shift handle experiments

I had an old wrench I had cut the end off for a past project and decided to make a shift lever adapter for my bakolite 33  Ford knob.

Think I need to turn it 45° more. If I drop 2 washers into the receiver it should be right but I ran out of time today.

I also have a black ball shift knob and the silver skull which I bought some threaded hardware to make them more sturdy and extend the lever. I swapped the Allen key for slotted set screws. I also want to mess around with the angle cause I currently have to reach for 1st.
 
I am a fan of early hurst bent style levers and the 70s Mopar pistol grip as well. The shifter I have currently is a gen1 t5 Hurst shifter but it still has the plastic ball cup. There might be a brass one but for now it's not important.

Another cheesy idea I had was going to pick up a cheap survival knife at a swap meet, drill some holes in the blade and try that, still with the Paracord wrap on a metal handle. Don't know if I could get the angle right and I think I'd miss the round knob.
I'll never understand why the last owner cut 4 inches off and welded a nut on the stock lever. I know it might have been a perceived performance gain. But honestly with the stock tall rear gear, this car was not flying through the gears.

When I got It, it had a threaded rod, the stock shift handle and was stripped out, dangerously loose.


Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo