water pump redo

So with the change in temperature at the beginning of the year the water pump started sleeping when it was cold. This gradually got worse through the heat cycles. With corrosion evident on the bottom of the pump I decided to redo the water pump even though I am sure it could have just been resealed and been ok.

I think I made 3 mistakes last time.
I used the crap black gaskets that came with the pump.
I used ultra grey rtv.
I sealed the inner air pockets inside the pump. These filled with fluid and with the thermal expansion compromised the gasket.
I went for a motorcraft pump this time as well as the light blue permatex rtv 22071.
After I heatcycle the motor a few times I am going to go back and torque everything again.
I also replaced the 2 left bolts that had corrosion on the from last time, with stainless ones. (5/16 - 18 4") I would have liked a 3 7/8" bolt but it's not available in stainless locally.
I put a cut in an old bolt and chased the treads and cleaned the timing cover.
I'll install it hopefully tomorrow if I have time and give it a good 24 hr to dry.

Experiment time, I did everything you normally do for a water pump install except I went for straight rtv "no gasket" from the backingplate to the timing cover.
Most of the corrosion on the old pump was in that area.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals