revisiting the alternator

Since installing a voltage gauge I have been able to really watch the charging system. The re-maned alternator I got off Amazon would charge less and less as the car came up to temp. Getting down in the 12s at idle and dropping below 12 as the fans spin up.
Knowing this I decided to revisit the alternator that came with the car. After about a half an hour I can say the original is more stable hanging in the low 13s when hot. As I swapped them today I noticed the Amazon alternator had a smaller pulley. So now a pulley swap might even be in the cards for the old unit. 
There are sizing questions to be answered first, but I'd guess it's fine since it's an oe pulley for an sn95.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo