pita exhaust studs

Instead of making steady progress I have just been fighting the exhaust manifold to y pipe bolts. I partially cut through 3 and broke them on purpose. 
 I can extract the pieces when I remove the headers. The 4th I could get a straight extension on and it ended up unthreading itself from the exhaust manifold. Now it's stuck loosely in the flange collar of the y pipe above the catalytic converter. I have a vise grip on it and am widdeling it down like a beaver with a Dremel extension. Laying on your back showering yourself with rust and sparks is so much fun. 
I just remembered I had this funky tool called a nut splitter. This should be a good test since there is no flange now that the stud is hanging. Will save the fun for tomorrow.

I did get the power steering pump tool and a Hayes manual for the torque specs. 


Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo