Random tune-up post

I have been having some trouble with the "station car", a 98 v6 mustang with 124k on the clock. Just hard starting. I know it's fuel related so I ordered a new pump and filler neck gasket. Since the weather is super cold installing that is on hold. I decided it was time for a tune-up so I order plugs wires and a new coil. I installed everything and immediately the car had a misfire. Rather then mess with finding spark, I grabbed the digital thermometer and tested the exhaust manifold and found #1 and #2 were cold. Switched the plugs on the coil and all was happy. 

The wires were old but passable, the plugs were terrible, rusted on the outside and worn to a gap of .7 - .8 when they should be .54 stock. The coil when heat soaked in the summer would stumble at idle.

Now it still starts hard but I know its either the pump of an "in tank line" that has a tiny split so the fuel pressure declines over a half an hour.   

Now we need a 40 degree day to get under it and drop the tank/ oil change. (say that as snow is forecasted for the next 2 days) 

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo