Smoke tester

I made a smoke tester. A friend said he thought he had some intake leaks and I planned to put on together already since I had an extra soldering iron.

I used a queso jar, some 2 part epoxy glue, cheapo soldering iron, Bic pen, and some 3/8 hose, a sock and some baby oil.
Not an original idea by any stretch but I didn't think it would work as good as it did. 
We found 2 intake leaks in 10 min. For the exhaust I think you can stuff the tail pipe but we didn't check that out yet.

To make the little smoker.
Glue a flat piece of wood on the bottom of the jar to keep it steady.
Measure the soldering iron and make sure it's not longer then your jar. Mine was 3/4 inch from the bottom. I would have added some PVC rings if I had to space it out.
Measure the soldering iron barrel and use the step bit to make a hole in the metal jar lid. I also made holes for the pen cap and a section of the body of the pen but with enough room that the jar seal was free of glue.
The hard part is getting it all glued in 1 shot on both sides. I used a q-tip without the fuz and put the iron in the vise and just painted all the edges of the iron and pen pieces. 

You can use a bike pump or compressor air gun at low volume to pass air through. Just drop a sock in and cover with baby oil. In about 7 min it's making nice smoke. 

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo