Getting it to run

I have not solved all the problems but I am on the right track.
The crank no start check list says start with aftermarket ignition boxes. Even though I replaced the ignition switch and solenoid first, I feel like the msd box was the issue. It showed good battery connection and ground but I had nothing at the coil. I connected the coil wires without the msd box. I checked and tightened the coil polarity and connectors. I pulled the spout plug and connected it to #1 plug and rotated the distribtor and now I have spark.
With the spout out it trys to fire on 1 or 2 cylinders.
The other thing is I see 12.67 volts at the battery and 12.11 at the coil. Thats a pretty big drop.  I think I need to remove all the aftermarket ignition wiring and just solder the stock wires that connect to the coil.
Another cool thing is the stock oil gauge came back to life. I think it didn't like the thread sealer and now some has worn away so it's grounding.
- - - - - - - update - - - - - - -
After 3 days of chasing voltage, testing pieces, I finally got it!
Here's all the things that happened from first start.
Starter wire was smoking, use mini starter wiring instead of oe wiring.
The coil showed no voltage (removed msd box), coil now .5v less then battery "need to return back to stock wiring because it's only twisted together with a lot of extra wire.
Half the fuse box wasn't getting power, replace fusible link, use 3g alternator wiring and connect both black and orange wires at the alternator that have been disconnected because of the 3g alternator upgrade. 
Coil not blinking when cranking, change back to original distribtor with replacement tfi module, set tdc and give it 10 degrees of timing with a protractor.
Injectors not firing, check computer and pull codes, computer ok giving off missing evap codes only, check tps signal voltage, voltage is 0 keyon to the signal wire, change tps sensor and set to 1.01v.

It started right up but timing is pretty out and its surging.

I have to deal with the missing intake air charge sensor next. 


Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo