Steering shaft mockup

I took the original shaft and seated it into the column to mark the depth with a sharpie.
I locked it down in the vise and you can clearly see the peen lines in the center of the yoke.
I made 2 little cuts with a dremel cutting wheel on 1 side of the steering yoke.
Gently tapped a chisel into the cut until the chip popped .
Put the input pin in the vise and tapped the yoke off the pin.
I put the lower joint on the steering shaft to make sure the 3/4" 36 splines line up.
I pushed the pin into the 3/4 DD joint just to get a feeling on how much trimming i need to do on the other side.
After about 10 min of grinding with a flap disc it dropped right into the 3/4" DD joint with not slop.
I used a punch to mark detents into the top and side of the oe pin. I drilled both with a 1/4 inch bit but 1 was off so i may redo it later.
I mounted the 18" shaft into the top steer joint and locked the detent. I marked the shaft with a sharpy and cut it to length.
There is enough depth inside the u-joints to drop the bottom one down onto the rack and slide the cut shaft up into the top joint and connect them in place! You don't have to pull the rack out now to disconnect them. Now it is all mocked up and i have to cut detents into the top and bottom of the shaft and put it all together with blue thread lock.


Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo