rant about prices of parts and then cleaning the timing cover

05/10/2019

Rant time.
Well the backing plate for the water pump is pretty pitted. I decided to replace it because that's a pita to do in the car. Trying to get the plate by itself costs the same as a whole new pump, plate and gasket shipped which I find annoying. It's a piece of metal stamped into a shape so it should not cost that much.
 
Rant done.

I went for the new airtex pump which gets great reviews online.

I need to clean the timing cover and mounting surfaces and the thermostat area so I can reassemble.
I am also vinegar treating the hardware and timing pointer.

I borrowed the balancer puller and removed the balancer from the motor but I also have a second block in storage that I pulled the balancer from. The bores are lightly rusted but not bad. It could be honed and be fine. The crank and cam are pretty past gone but I doubt I'd use them if I was building from scratch. Stroker kit costs 200 more than a replacement stock sized crank. There's also machining costs but since there's rust I'd pay to have to hot tanked to begin with.

I need to finish scuffing the under carriage and phosphoric etching the rusty areas. Its rough cause even with a dust mask i get sinus pressure the night after sanding. I'd tough it out but with family and work I have to spread it out. Id guess i am probably about halfway done. Then I can wash off the acid, dry and hit it with the rust converter paint before primer sealer.

For the missing steering rack sleeves I decided to get some 10 inch long x 1/2 inch thick steel pipe and put a slit in it with a cutoff wheel and see if I can't fabri-coble my own for $9 instead of $45 shipped. It will all depend on if I can close the pipe in the vice after i cut it because the od is .81 and the k member mounting hole is .76.

Spent a good 4 hours scrubbing and cleaning the timing cover and thermastat housing. . Most of the time spent was clearing the 4 bolt holes next to the water pump passages. They were packed with sealant, rust and old coolant powder. It's as good as I can get it without abrasives

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo