Pickle forks, water pumps and paint

04/23/2019

Went and rented a pickle fork and then I saw the damage free tie rod remover. Tried it and with-in 3 turns of the ratchet the tie rod popped right off. Other then 1 cracked dust boot the ends are in good shape after a thorough cleaning and grease replacement.



I also decided to pull the water pump. Reasoning is it was seeping around the timing cover and it is a pita to do in the car. Besides some seriously rusted bolts it nearly fell off. Ordered the gasket set and a new thermostat but the full timing cover and water pump bolt kit online is $50, I found there is a kit of 3 water pump only bolts at autozone for $9 ea. Need 2  so $18 total.





Wire wheeled everything, scotch padded the rest, vacuumed and wiped it all down with acetone.

Sprayed a whole can of Rustoleum rust converter paint. I will use primer sealer in 24 hours.

I wanted to do the under carriage and the trunk but I ran out of time.



Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo