Mystery steering rack bushings solved and balancer, timing cover removed.

05/07/2019

The case of the mystery steering rack bushings has been solved.
The rack the car came with apparently had single 1 piece bushings with a steel insert. This is stock on the mustang ii setup, not the fox.

The original foxbody setup should include 2 sleeves (red arrow) that went through the k member but are missing. Guess they were seized onto the bolts, because the 8mm bolt tips are mushroomed and won't fit a socket.



In order the use new bushings or even the mustang ii setup I need the sleeve or there is a 1/4 of play in the rack when tight.
I can totally fab a tube with a slit in it to be .75" od .5" id, or spend $40 and get re-pops.

Balancer removed. Timing cover bolts all broken loose.





Timing cover off but I tore my nice new 1 piece pan gasket. :( I was lazy and should have pulled the pan instead of just loosening it because I wanted to save that gasket.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo