new thermostat housing and temp gauge

So I decided I needed a better water temp gauge on the fox. After looking at prices options and new sensor locations, I decided on a super cheap digital gauge and a new thermostat housing with a 3/8 port. The first gauge I received was in Celsius which I returned and ordered a 3/8 to 1/8 npt adapter.
I found an AutoZone thermostat housing combo with a gasket. 
There was a good amount of casting slag in the turn of the water neck which I took a file to. 
I didn't notice the waterpump bypass nipple was an inch longer than one making getting the tiny right angle bypass hose on and real pain. I ended up folding it in half and ziptieing it, to get it started on both nipples at the same time. I found some corrosion on the threads of the bolts when I took it apart so I coated those in liquid ptfe sealant as well as the sensor and adapter.
For a gauge mount I am just using some scrap plastic and a 2" hole saw to make a temp mount. I'd like to make a dash pod that sits where the old autometer tach is currently.
I also need to add some foam to an area of the fan shroud I trimmed to fit the previous radiator.

(Update, I am embarrassed to say the old thermostat was installed backwards. After correcting this with the new water neck, I still need the wire in the new gauge but honestly it runs half or below on the gauge even in traffic, at a dead stop the fans pull from the alternator but have not caused a stall just a dip in rpm)

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo