The "rust"oration of a 1991 Ford Mustang GT "foxbody" Cobra Clone.
Affectionately called Rusty Razors and Old Bones because thats what I found under the upper intake.
lower intake and heads removed
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I removed the lower intake. I was able to siphone out some coolant from the rear port of the heads to reduce the mess when I pulled the heads.
Everything came off without any prying.
i went through the head bolt detorque sequence and they were nice and tight.
Installed the new flywheel. Installed the new clutch. Installed the clutch fork and throw out bearing And then the bell housing Installed a new transmission tailshaft seal. I built a sled to drag it into place under the car and there's a bolt that fits the center of my jack through the center board. I may have to pull the shift cause there's exactly 19 inches under the pinch weld and thats the same to the shifter nub.
I installed the cooling system yesterday. The upper rubber isolators were trashed so I asked my wife, what can you think of thats flat and rubber. She says how about old shoes. So I grabbed an old set of kids water shoes and some shears and just trimmed until they stuck into the brackets. I may paint them but for now it will work. I'll probably pick up all my fluids at once coolant, transmission, power steering. I still need a new fan. I am undecided on 2x 12 inch fans or replace the Taurus fan internals. The shroud is pretty nice but the draw is insane. I might just rewire it and give it a try with a new battery before I give up on it. I have a problem with my creeper it basically kicked all the bearings out of the casters. I have 4 nicer casters around the same size but the mounting points are 2x3 inches. So i am welding additions to the frame.
So not a smooth process, but it's getting done. The old tank came out pretty easy. Shuffled it down with some scrap wood, the floor jack and a skate board. Taking the old tank out I stuck a wooded block between theneck and the frame rail lower the drivers side and pryed a 2x3 board between the tank and the frame. I took the tank to the outside work bench, aka the trash can tops, brushed the dirty off. Drained about 2 gallons of some pretty nasty fuel. I mean it half smelled like fuel looked like milky whiskey. The fuel filter was on backwards so that might have been my flow problem. Changed that for a nice new wix filter. The fuel sender top is pretty rusty but the pump assembly was ok. Swapped in the new pump, hose, clamps and screen. I'd change both housings next time I was in there but I will be treating rust in that area in the future. No holes in the trunk floor yet but it needs roughly 3 small patches and a good clean and paint, so I will get under there again. I...