helping a neighbor with his 04 f150 fuel pump

So I have been helping my neighbor out with his 04 f150 fuel pump. First pump a mechanic installed was smashed against the bottom of the tank and outright failed. Second pump fell to pieces inside the tank severing the fuel sender wire but worked correctly.
Looking at the models and there are 5 different wheel bases and 4 different tank setups and some are options. Also there is a model change in 04 and I think this might have an 05 tank because it has a locking ring and no hold down bolts for the pump assembly listed for 2004. That means 8 different possible part numbers for the same part.
My thought is if the new housing is short I will mock up a plastic spacer to keep pressure on the spring loaded uprights so the thing doesn't fall apart again. It's a little jankey but will prevent an obvious failure.
These pumps are actually getting hard to find and expensive. Rockauto seems to have a good variety but I am guessing the way they are failing, the brick an mortar places aren't keeping them around.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo