addressing the slop in the steering shaft

After my alignment I noticed some slip in the steering. A loose bolt from the column to the shaft was to blame but not all of the slop was removed. Still had a half inch in the wheel before anything happened.
I loosened the rack mount bolts to the end of the thread.
Unbolted the shaft pin from the steering column. It's a tough spot to get a wrench on top to hold the bolt because it's under the brake booster. There's a ton of things in the way. I laid an open end wrench with a bit of tape over the bolt and with a 12 inch extension and wobble socket from underneath, I was able to break the blue lock tight. Then fought the bolt out of the hole with some hose clamp pliers.here is a video of the play in the joint.


I drilled a second detent in the shaft pin and lock-tighted both set screws and lock nuts. I am going to go back over all of the connections, clean and lock tight them all.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo