steering shaft

A while back I added my own custom steering linkage. Moving it around the garage with out running the car has led to the shaft getting loose. I saw a video where old ford's had plastic inside the steering shaft expansion joint that could be shimmed after it wore away.

My solution is to weld the straight lengths to the joints. I will have to pull the rack forward for removal but not uncommon for this car. My only concern is heat damage to the joint bearings. I'll probably wrap them in a damp cloth to slow the heat penetration. This will also slow me to better locktite the locking pins.

Update: found the culprit, the nut and bolt that links the steering column to the steering shaft was loose and damaged mismatched. 
Got a new nut and some blue locktite. I will still go back and weld some of the links in the steering shaft but that's future.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo