Solving the exhaust problem

So this is the problem or at least some of it. The passenger side pipe is about 1 inch short and the drivers side is 3.5 inches short. So I spent 2 grueling hours cutting the flanges off. Why so long? Grinder only gets access to about 20% of the pipe because I cut it 1 inch from there flange. I cut it there because I need as much straight pipe left to slide and clamp the new pieces to. Basically more pipe is more adjustability.
So that means hack saw because my reciprocating saw need a new blade lock cause it only stays for 3 or 4 seconds and then let's go of the blade. Basically I tapped my hack saw with a dead blow for half the time and went at it hard the other half.

Now the other problem is this is an sn95 setup. The tail pipes don't kick out as far after the axel and hit the gas tank and the upper control arms. Sliding the mid pipe back a half an inch solves the control arm issue so I will work from there. 

To get a straight cut I through a clamp on the tube and then wrap tape and remove the clamp and cut at the edge of the tape.

Now you see the idea.
Pretty tight joint. I trimmed the uneven hacksaw cut.
The shorter section for in the vise so I welded it that way. You also see the slice I added to allow it to clamp when assembled.
Not a perfect weld but certainly enough to hold it.
I used a large clamp in the vise and some shims to hold it and to tack the taller pipe.
Then I put the flange into the vise and welded it around
Welds came out much better.
Some cleanup and vht paint and 2 clamps and they are ready to go back on.
The h-pipe bolts should also be replaced cause they are bent and rusty.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo