Short strand fiberglass

So I decided to use short strand fiberglass filler on the weld sites and some of the seams. I started with the underside since that's what needs to get done to reassemble everything.  I have to say the 3m short strand glass filler is pretty good stuff. Easy to work with goes on smooth, reacts timely with the hardener. I wanted to work on my wax paper palette but could not find it. It would have made mixing easier. Paint sticks did the job but not as fast so may first batch was harder then I'd like when I finished. Also cutting down a large paddle helped.
I did however create a small problem for myself. I expected to sand it and I did not take into account the saftey precautions needed to sand this material while laying on my back. Respirator and saftey glasses just won't cut the mustard as they say.
I wanted a new respirator but I am forced into buying a full face mask to get the job done. The use of SEM Seam sealer, which u already have around would have had me a 1 and done process.
I tried sanding blocks and carefully trying not to get any in my eyes but it's very dusty stuff.
I will go back with a worn flap disc and I also have an oscillating multi tool with a sanding pad I want to try on this project.
I am thinking I'll sand and clean and than use the SEM brand seam sealer and reprime everything to be safe although I may need a second tube.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo