Daily driver project

So I am taking a slight detour from the project fox. I have a sn95 v6 station car that I will probably daily until it breaks.

It needs some attention before it would commute daily but nothing I would pay someone else to do. I ordered a cheap set of caster camber plates $50 amazon, a cheap bluetooth radio $25 shipped off amazon and a new set of upper control arm bushings. I still need the maximum motorsports tool to install and it's been pretty wet and cold lately. Not to mention sickness and the holidays. With the new radio I will use my phone with a 128gig sd card to replace a 32 gig ipod classic. Honestly i never liked dealing with the ipod because it was a pain finding music through the radio. Id also have to change the battery and since its open, I would want to upgrade the hard drive as well to 256 gig sd flash card drive like iflash. All that would be like $60. So just not worth it.

So i pulled the old jvc cd/mp3 deck and ipod adapter and discovered the radio bezel was really cracked in four places.
The screw holes failed and broke free and then the weight of the radio cracked the push clips. All the movment then stared to crack the outter frame to the radio.

To repair the plastic I picked up some clear epoxy and repaired the cracks and then clips and then slathered the back side of the frame.

I pushed jb weld into the screw holes and areas that seemed the weakest, then after it was all dry I reinstalled the bezel and used a drill bit to mark the back of jb weld putty and drilled out the new mounting holes. I chose not to sand or trim the putty for strength.
I am fabbed up a steel plate to support the frame where the screws mount.
Only basic paint on the steel to prevent rust.
I am much more concerned with function. So a total of $10 worth of epoxy and epoxy putty and I am able to put it back together. I added some edge guard to better support the outter edge.
There is also an open space below the radio that had a storage space. I have a cover that needs to be trimmed or i may fab up a new pocket to put my phone in. I'll get into the other repairs when the parts arrive.

Popular posts from this blog

Flywheel, clutch, bell housing and some other details

power steering rack line seals

water pump redo